Lucky me, I got to go to both Canadiens games this week, both of which they won. Random observations:
- If I ever want to really simplify my life, I’ll quit my job as a producer and become a Molson Ex bimbo. I can clap, clap, cla-cla-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap, cla-clap and use a tambourine like they do. Work 42 nights a year, see all the home games. Not bad.
- It doesn’t matter where you sit, seeing the Habs live rocks. Having every little “Yeah-yeah go! Go! Skate! Skaaaaa- AWWWW!” reaction simultaneously with 20000 other people provides a great sense of community. It doesn’t get much more Montreal than this.
- It sucks that everything about the game has to be branded (“who the lucky Pom bread fan tonight?”), but I have to say the show was so good that I managed to tune most of it out. Except the PSP commercials, which were actually fun to see.
- Youppi, honey, I loved you as a kid, but it’s over. The Expos are gone. I only gave a shit about them for one year, and that year ended in a strike. Time to go.
- Exchanging contact info with coworkers by beaming PDA to PDA at a game is reassuring. You may be drinking bad beer and screaming yourself hoarse like a hooligan, you’ll still be a geek in the morning.
- Seeing my hero score the winning goal on a breakaway in overtime, like I did tonight… well, it will never get old.